So you've just made it home only to discover that your heater or air conditioner isn't working.
Before you panic take these key steps that could save you both time and money.
- Check to make sure the switch is on. If it's summer time, ensure the switch is on cool, and for winter on heat.
- Check to make sure the battery in your thermostat is working. A good rule of thumb is to change the batteries in your thermometer every 6 months, or each time you change the battery in your smoke detector.
- Check the breaker. Make sure that your circuit breakers are on and that none of the fuses have gone out. If your circuit breaker or fuse blows more than once, you may have a more serious problem that should be handled by a professional.
- Check to make sure the airflow isn't blocked. Ensure that your air filters are clean and that there is nothing obstructing the air flow. Also, make certain that your ceiling grids are open and unobstructed.
- Check to make sure the thermostat is on the correct settings. You'd be surprised at the number of people who call technicians before taking this step. Sometimes the solution can be as simple as making sure the thermostat is high enough in winter, and low enough in summer.